3D Ultrasound & Gender Reveal
At Peek-A-Belly Houston located inside the North Houston Birth Center, we want you to have an incredible ultrasound experience!
One of the most intimate and unique times during a pregnancy is when you get to glimpse inside your baby's world and lay eyes on the newest love of your life. Conventional, non-diagnostic ultrasound for personal use is more accessible than ever before! More and more families are using ultrasound sessions to deepen the bond with their baby before they meet Earthside.
There are some common questions about ultrasound that we want to address for you! Ultrasound technology is, by far, the most commonly used diagnostic tool in pregnancy and is considered a safe and valuable tool. Families have fallen in love with being able to see the life growing within. It has become so popular that there are boutiques dedicated to allowing you to take a peek whenever you want to, without having to wait for a medical reason or directive from a care provider.
What you need to know:
1. Ultrasound works by transmitting sound waves into the body and recording the waves that bounce back. In order to bounce back, there must be space between the transmitter and the object of the ultrasound. In pregnancy, that space is the amniotic fluid. The ideal time for entertainment ultrasounds to capture the baby's features is between 20 and 32 weeks gestation. Generally, this is the time when you have ample fluid and the baby is not yet so big that they are squished against the uterine walls.
2. Drinking plenty of water in the days leading up to your ultrasound appointment is one of the most important factors in determining the quality of pictures you will receive, staying hydrated increases both the quantity and clarity of your amniotic fluid. However, this won't happen overnight! It is important to dedicate yourself to ample water intake several days before your appointment.
3. While the ideal window may be 20-32 weeks gestation, there is never a bad time to sneak a peek at your baby! Understand that very early in pregnancy, fetal details can be hard to capture but heartbeat and movement are always a winner. Later in pregnancy, you may start to get some interference with baby's surroundings but even half of a smiling face is a lovely thing to glimpse. Many families make it a point to book several appointments over the course of their pregnancy to follow the growth of their baby. There is no wrong way for this visual journey!
4. On the day of the appointment, you should avoid eating a heavy meal in the 2 hours prior to the appointment. This can put the baby into a virtual "food coma" and make it hard to coax the baby into an optimal position. Conversely, drinking a cold glass of juice about 10 minutes before can help to increase your baby's activity level.
5. The most important thing to remember is: RELAX and HAVE FUN! Seeing your baby is one great way to make cherished memories, bond with your family and little one, follow the baby's development, and stay connected visually. From smiles to sucking thumbs, from dancing babies and sleepy ones, every appointment is truly a joy.
At Peek-A-Belly Houston, we are always happy to consult with expectant families to help them get the most out of their ultrasound experiences. Let us know if we can help you today!
Leave a Reply.
NH Birth Center BLOG
This blog has contributions from Doula's and Midwifes from the North Houston Birth Center, along with articles from other medical personnel from different websites with their credit and link at the bottom of each article.